1 Day Rwanda Gorilla tour
Day 01: Mountain Gorilla Safari
05:00Am: Your driver guide will be ready for an early start from Kigali. The drive this morning is through the winding Mountain roads just before sunrise as you transfer to the Mountain gorilla base. Later, the 1 day Rwanda gorilla tour experience commences as soon as we arrive at the gorilla offices in Kinigi. We will have a quick breakfast at the nearby gorilla lodge, before joining other gorilla trekking visitors on the the briefing. Later, grouped depending on the gorilla group preference, as well as physical ability and the gorilla trek begins from the park boundary. Then, the guides begin leading the group of trackers on the slopes of the volcanoes. From here on, they hike into the alpine forests of the Volcanoes National Park, looking for signs of gorillas.
Gorilla trekking, Nests and diet
These include chewed up vegetation, strands of hair from the gorillas, the gorilla nests where the gorillas slept the previous night. Here will be the beginning point from which the gorilla trackers will start their mission of following the trail. Closer to the Gorilla family, the eaten bits of plant material gets fresher, meaning that you would be getting near. At this point, the gorilla porters and the other escorting team will give way for the main gorilla trekking party to move forward. Please maintain a distance of 10 metres from the Mountain gorillas.
Viewing of the Mountain gorillas
The gorillas are peaceful animals and live in their natural environment feeding on the bamboo shoots, wild celery and nettles. After an hour viewing the Mountain gorillas and photographing them, have a picnic lunch before taking the return journey back to Kigali. Your driver guide will then transfer you back to the Hotel. Alternatively, transfer you to the Kigali International airport for departure on a late evening, or night flight.
Tour price per person starts at US$299 + US$1500 Gorilla permit.
Optional cheaper gorilla trek from Rwanda to Uganda:
This would be taken as a 2 day tour out of Kigali to the other side of the Mountain where the gorilla permit fee still costs USD600 in the high season. Or USD450 for the months of April May and November. For more details and instant pricing, you can contact the reservations department.
1 Day Rwanda Gorilla tour cost Includes:
- Pick up from Kigali
- A picnic lunch from your lodge/hotel
- One gorilla trekking permit as shown above.
- Private 4×4 safari vehicle
- English speaking guide from Travelust African Safaris.
- Complimentary bottled water in vehicle.
- unscheduled stops for pictures.
- Afterwards, a Gorilla tracking certificate
- Gorilla trackers and Rwanda park guide.
- Flights to, then from Rwanda
- Porters during the gorilla visit(optional)
- Visas where applicable, subject to country of origin.
- extra gorilla treks if wishing to add an extra day.
- personal expenses like tips and laundry.
- Flights into Rwanda.
- Extra tours after the gorilla treks subject to availability.
Important Information on the 1 Day Gorilla Safari Rwanda tour
- Please note that this is an express trek that requires an early morning departure. You will be required to arrive early at the gorilla briefing base and may have issues with mild altitude effects.
- You are advised to take plenty of water and asprin/cetamol to control the effects.
- Please pack gardening gloves for protection against the stinging nettles while on the gorilla trek.
- Porters are usually available for those who may need assistance with cameras or filming equipment.
- You are advised to stay in a group and keep your voices as low as possible so as not to startle the Mountain gorillas.
- It is possible to select a gorilla group of your choice based on the level of trekking difficulty and the number of gorillas in the group.
- The 1 day Rwanda gorilla tour guides are always on hand to advise, and take evasive action in case of agitation by the silver back.
- You will be in a group of 8 people visiting a gorilla group.
- Only one hour of viewing is allowed per day and this is only in the morning.
- Gorillas tend to chest thump as a away of easing stress and sending messages to other rival groups.